Thursday, October 16, 2008

Crackers vs. Fresh Bread

In Turkey, the term cracker is used to describe a dry, sesame coated piece of baked flour. Typically they are not eaten nearly as often as in the States: they are used to snack on every once and awhile. In the States, crackers are crisp and crunchy, and have a salty, buttery flavor. They go excellently with soup, and are eaten with soup or with something on them. In Turkey, the carbohydrates beside a bowl of soup almost always tend to be a slice or three of fresh Turkish bread. Crackers are marginalized in Turkish society, in favor of the delicious bread served with everything.

So which is better? Processed, flaky, buttery American crackers or fresh Turkish bread and the occasional sesame covered cracker? What do you think?

2 comments:

Julie A said...

I can't decide. They are both really good. It may be possible that I want to eat American crackers just because I haven't had them for a long time.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the Turkish bread. I think it is healthier than the crackers.