Sunday, November 30, 2008

Aunt Flow Assauges the Pain and Confusion

1. Dear Aunt Flow, I recently moved to Turkey. I feel isolated because there are few American families here, and I do not speak Turkish. I home-school my kids, so we don’t have many opportunities to meet other foreigners. It has been five months, and I still can't get over the culture shock. I spend my days cooped up with my kids, unable to do the simplest things. I can't seem to live up to my husband's expectations, and he has become quite critical. This is hurting our marriage. Please help me before I go crazy. — Anonymous Sufferer

Dear Anonymous Sufferette: Moving across the ocean is always difficult. Although there aren't many American families here, there are enough to find fellowship with, who can supply your need to communication. You and your family also decided to move here, and with that choice came a responsibility to get into the culture and try to learn the language and customs of the Turkish people. Get out with your children and husband and be with others, focusing on loving on other people of all races, and you will not feel so cooped up and lonely.

2. Dear Aunt Flow, I have a lot of homework every night. At the same time, I want to spend time with my friends, participate in extra-curricular activities, and use Facebook. If I don’t get on Facebook every night, I feel left out. At the same time, I think I’m wasting a lot of time and it is one way I could make better use of my time. What do you suggest? -- Sometimes lonely in Libadiye

Dear Sometimes lonely in Libadiye: Facebook is fun and useful, but there are more important things. There are two priorities in your life right now: school and relationships. You must find a balance between spending time on Facebook and hanging out with friends, and getting all your homework and studying done. Do the work first, then get on Facebook.

Dear Aunt Flow, My husband and I are raising four beautiful children. Our oldest daughter, age 15, has admitted to us that she has been drinking alcohol at parties on weekends. She says she never gets drunk but always has one drink because "everyone else is doing it" and she doesn't want to look "weird."My husband and I never drink. Alcohol is not served in our home. Our daughter is an honor student and never has caused us any trouble. She says we should appreciate her honesty and not be angry with her. How should we handle this? — Beside Ourselves Buyuk Cekmece

Dear Beside Yourselves in B.C.: The abuses and irresponsibilites your daughter has shown are not only dissapproved by yourselves, but are illegal and completely unexceptable. Your daughter is 15, and shouldn't be acting thus, even if it is normal among her more ill-parented peers. Help her understand that you are proud of her, and love her, and are stopping her from making further serious mistakes.

No comments: